I'm so grateful for the seasons. Each season is so unique and shares with us its individual beauty...
Winter, it's no lie, has been my least favorite season my entire life pretty much by default, because warm weather is more friendly and inviting. But even if you discount my newly acquired love of snowboarding, winter's got its perks.
Winter is sweater weather, and allows me to dress in layers (which is something I've always adored, but can't really justify in summer months). Although it's no fun to drive in, snow is absolutely beautiful and serene. Winter is baking weather, and oh, yeah, two words: hot chocolate. Also, snowboarding.
Spring is so wonderful, when the earth comes back to life. I love when the snow melts and the ice is finally off the streets. I adore waking up to the twittering of birds. And seeing nature rejuvenate--flowers in bloom, and budding trees--is simultaneously invigorating and soothing unto my soul.
Summer brings with it camping and hiking and swimming. Independence Day celebrations. Late nights, and bonfires with s'mores, and vacations, and sandals, and...yes, summer is good. Very, very good.
But nothing holds a candle to autumn time. Autumn time is heaven on earth. I admire watching the leaves change colors each day. I adore going for walks, hearing the fallen leaves crunch beneath my feet. I'm fond of wearing jackets and scarves and boots with tall socks. I get a kick out of watching Halloween movies. Making soups or casseroles. Breathing in the crisp air. Eating (Honeycrisp) apples. Baking with apples. Going for little drives to see further enjoy the autumn colors. Autumn time is harvest time, and that just makes me happy.
Yesterday was closing day for the 2013 Idaho Falls farmers market season, and I went to bid farewell; I didn't end up purchasing anything, but I walked by the river and took some pictures...
 |
| Wow. That reflection... |
 |
| All the fall colors on one tree... |
 |
| fallen leaves... |
 |
| breathe it in... |
 |
| water tower |
I've been spending a lot of time alone lately, and although it's not typically my first choice (or second or third), it's not been so bad. Pretty good, even. I've had a fairly healthy self esteem (since early adulthood?), but recently I've relearned that I like myself. I'm fun. And I'm thoughtful and considerate and friendly and helpful. And I'm okay being alone. I mean, I love being with people, and it's still typically my first choice (and second and third), but solitude--even if sometimes it feels forced--is okay.
Here's to rediscovery. And hot apple cider, and leggings with long sweaters and boots, and bright vivid hues. And here's to whatever tomorrow brings.
2 comments:
Thank you for this. I've been preparing myself for the cold, horrid winter ahead and have forgotten to enjoy the awesomeness of fall. My husband likes it, but I usually spend this season pouting because summer is over. I'll have to learn to check my whining. ;)
love,
a
www.missdecaf.blogspot.com
These pictures are making me miss the Fall season while I'm here in Florida. Just gorgeous!!
xo TJ
http://www.hislittlelady.com
Post a Comment