Now I'm in the school setting, and although it's a better fit for me than a hospital could ever be, it's not private practice. I'm not in charge of my own schedule, and I can't take off a day or two because I feel like I need a "mental health" day. (And in education, I feel like I might require more of those per year than I needed in private practice. Eesh!)
It's also been a hard adjustment having to work on Fridays. I know, I feel like a jerk even writing it, but it's something I got used to real quick, having 3 day weekends every. single. week. Getting myself out of the door on Friday mornings is haaaaard!
There are so. many. meetings. Faculty. Professional development. PLCs. IEPs. More PDs. More IEPs. And another PD or two for good measure. (And, on occasion, three IEPs back-to-back-to-back all in one day, all after contract hours.)
Also, I've gotten sick a handful of times since school began mid-August. I figured I had a stellar immune system, having worked in a pediatric private practice for nine years, but the middle school is, like, a petri dish of germiness, and I seem to catch a good portion of whatever's going around, and it's not cool.
That's not to say that working in a public school doesn't have its perks, though. I have vision and dental insurance, which I've never had in my adult life. (Andy's work pays for our health insurance, but they don't have vision/dental plans.) It's pretty cool to just have a co-pay for these appointments, if I'm being completely honest with you.
As much as I miss my Fridays off, I'm 3 months away from a legit summer break. I'm stupid excited just thinking about all the books I can read, and hanging out with my mom and SIL sometimes (since they're teachers, too) while Andy is at work.
Aaaaand it's nice to be on salary. It's nice to get the holidays off without it hurting the bottomline, you know?
Also--and this is most important--I love the people I work with. I've gotten to know a handful of the English/Language Arts teachers fairly well, and they are awesome people! And I love the crap out of my Special Ed. team. I LOVE THEM. They've been patient and helped me transition into public school life. And the Special Ed. directors at the district level are about as supportive as they can be. I'm so grateful to them!
And as much as I miss my old job, I realize that I'd rather deal with the stresses of this new job here in Logan with Andy in my corner, than to be back at my dream job without Andy. It's been a big year of big changes, but Andy's worth it all. He's been a good cheerleader for me; he's patient and listens to my stresses, and he's literally my shoulder to cry on, and I don't regret leaving it all behind for him.
![]() |
| That face. The one on the right. He makes everything okay. |
Also, it's good to grow and challenge oneself in so many ways, right? I'm growing professionally, doggone it!
*vent over
![]() |
| I mean, I wake up to views like this every morning! (Although I think this is just pre-sunset? But you get what I'm saying.) Cache Valley, you're beautiful! |
![]() |
| I mean, really. |



2 comments:
I'm feeling all the emotions for you....so hard/sad/good/great/fun/annoying...etc! Glad you have Andy!
Public School is the hardest job you will ever love! And be nice to those ELA teachers, we ALL need it! :)
Post a Comment