Real quick: I'm a guest blogger on over at screweduptexan.
It's true! I love this gal's blog, so I was super excited when she asked me to guest post!
Check it out, y'all!
It's true! I love this gal's blog, so I was super excited when she asked me to guest post!
Check it out, y'all!
I've been on an ABBA kick lately.
I recently acquired the vast majority of ABBA's albums, and so I've been listening to them. A LOT.
They've got some fun music. Truly, I like most of it. (Okay, so some of it's weird too, but really...)
Listening to ABBA put me in the mood to watch Mama Mia. Can I just say? I love that movie. Love it!
You heard me declare my love for the movie, but I gotta put in a little disclaimer: I love it in spite of Pierce Brosnan.
I don't have anything against Mr. Brosnan personally. I've heard he made a nice, sexy James Bond. (I do not care for Bond movies--don't hate.) I've also heard that he's pretty sexy all-around. Especially when you factor in his age and such.
The reason I say I love Mama Mia despite Pierce Brosnan is because...well...have you seen it? (Or rather, more appropriately, have you heard it?)
(Mm-kay, I found a clip on youtube, but they won't let me embed.
If you haven't seen the movie, please take 2 minutes and watch the link.)
My, oh my. Where do I begin? I guess I'll just be blunt: it hurts me. His voice, I mean. Unpleasant. His voice is piercing (heh heh!)...
The first time I saw the movie was on DVD in my own home, and I had to rewind his singing parts a couple of times. (Can you say "glutton for punishment?") Really, though, I was confused. Because Pierce is on key, and that's usually more than half the battle, isn't it?
Alas, this time, the horror comes in the quality of his voice; it's rotten is what. (Oh, and also, he looks like he is in physical pain when you watch his singing clips--a telling sign, perhaps?)
I have a rather broad (and somewhat picky) taste in music. My brother Vance introduced me to the likes of Tom Petty, Sweet, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, The Scorpions and Royal Bliss. I grew up listening to Kenny Rogers, ABBA, and Neil Diamond (oh, how I love Neil!). And of course, I adore Josh Groban, Michael Buble, OK Go, and Needtobreathe, just to name a few. (What don't I like? Most county music, R&B, and rap.)
Back to Brosnan, though...
So he's on key, right? That's been established. But his voice hurts us. And that got me thinking...last time I listened to Tom Petty (like, yesterday), I noticed his voice. And I realized it's not pretty. But I like it.
Isn't that weird? I love pretty much everything Petty does, including his older stuff (Mudcrutch--which is jam-y and kinda different) to his brand new album (Mojo--which is all blues-y, and I don't heart the blues).
Along that same vane...I recognize Celine Dion has an incredible voice, but I really dislike her music.
Don't even get me started on Bob Dylan. (Incredible song-writer; horrible singer.)
What are your thoughts...?
If you haven't seen the movie, please take 2 minutes and watch the link.)
My, oh my. Where do I begin? I guess I'll just be blunt: it hurts me. His voice, I mean. Unpleasant. His voice is piercing (heh heh!)...
The first time I saw the movie was on DVD in my own home, and I had to rewind his singing parts a couple of times. (Can you say "glutton for punishment?") Really, though, I was confused. Because Pierce is on key, and that's usually more than half the battle, isn't it?
Alas, this time, the horror comes in the quality of his voice; it's rotten is what. (Oh, and also, he looks like he is in physical pain when you watch his singing clips--a telling sign, perhaps?)
I have a rather broad (and somewhat picky) taste in music. My brother Vance introduced me to the likes of Tom Petty, Sweet, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, The Scorpions and Royal Bliss. I grew up listening to Kenny Rogers, ABBA, and Neil Diamond (oh, how I love Neil!). And of course, I adore Josh Groban, Michael Buble, OK Go, and Needtobreathe, just to name a few. (What don't I like? Most county music, R&B, and rap.)
Back to Brosnan, though...
So he's on key, right? That's been established. But his voice hurts us. And that got me thinking...last time I listened to Tom Petty (like, yesterday), I noticed his voice. And I realized it's not pretty. But I like it.
Isn't that weird? I love pretty much everything Petty does, including his older stuff (Mudcrutch--which is jam-y and kinda different) to his brand new album (Mojo--which is all blues-y, and I don't heart the blues).
Along that same vane...I recognize Celine Dion has an incredible voice, but I really dislike her music.
Don't even get me started on Bob Dylan. (Incredible song-writer; horrible singer.)
What are your thoughts...?
6 comments:
Oh Gina...I totally agree with you about Pierce. I loved the movie but when he sang I kinda died inside.
I can get on board with most of your music choices. However, I do have love in my heart for country. I know for some it's hard to swallow, but when you grow up in rural Idaho and it's just woven into your childhood, you have no choice but to love it.
wow. PAINFUL. you kind of have to wonder what the director was thinking? "crap, I'm not sure all the sound editing in the world could fix this..."
We have similiar taste in music! YAY! I have not yet seen Mama Mia. I will order it on Netflix immediately. Heading over to check out your guest post now.
Pierce, oh Pierce. For the love of god, why did you sing?*
* While we're on the subject, can you also tell me why you got old?
Love ABBA. Couldn't see Mama Mia for fear of what could be done (am glad now after your post as it sounds like Pierce did a stellar job ruining a great piece of music?). Don't diss Bob though...
Found you thorough Blog Flow... look forward to hearing more :)
after watching the clip i am now ready to weigh in: his voice is very thin, there's no resonance. i also take issue with his stubble and his teeth, which make him seem haggard rather than sexy
Post a Comment