Tuesday, February 15, 2011

who uses the word "putrid" anyway?

I got a phone call from a friend early this afternoon; a friend who works for a local news station.

Jessica was working on a piece about the crazy cold/flu season we're currently experiencing...which is where I come in.

Jessica called because she knows I've been sick. We go to church together, you see, and she noticed my total lack of voice this past Sunday. (I've had a nasty cold of late, after all...)

Anyway. Jessica came by my office during my lunch break and did a quick little interview.

Can I just say?
I do not love video cameras on me. Not ever. Especially when I'm feeling all sicky, and my nose is raw and red, and...

It was an uncomfortable situation, for sure. But I'm glad I was able to help Jessica out.

We finished our little chat, and we both left (me, for lunch, and Jessica, for the newsroom, I suppose). I tried to forget it (successfully!) for the duration of my work day.

Then at 6:09pm, I got a text from my friend Keri.

Our exchange:

Keri:" You were on the news!"
Me: "How did I sound?" (I couldn't bring myself to watching it live)
Keri
: "You said 'putrid'...I LOVED IT!"

Me
: "I do not remember saying that word!"

Keri: "That's the part I walked in on. I didn't hear all. My mom told me you were on and you said that you felt putrid. I was kinda lost about what the story was on..."

After a bit, I got the courage to watch the piece online, and here's how it went down:

Gina O. found herself reaching for her box of tissues about a week ago and she's still got them close by.

“They've come kind of one or two at a time, the symptoms; it's kind of ridiculous,” she said. “I lost my voice completely on Saturday night, and it's just barely coming back.”


When the symptoms continued, O. decided to see her doctor.

“I actually took Thursday off because I was just feeling putrid,“ O. said. “So, I went to the doctor and fortunately it's not strep or anything.”


Who uses the word "putrid" anyway? Especially when they're being interviewed by the local news talent? I think a normal person would've used the word "awful" or something less...putrid. Gah!

I thought about embedding my 15 seconds of fame on here, but I didn't see that option on the news website.

Also, I don't quite have the courage to embed it, even if it were an option. (It wasn't.)

Aaaand now it's time to close my eyes.
A sick person needs lots of sleep, after all...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Putrid, eh?

rhonda said...

I love the word! I applaud you for using it on television. :)

Brooke said...

so so so so sad I missed it. But, now that I know it's on the news website, you bet your red nose I'll be looking for it!
I love that "putrid" is what Keri loved.
Way to shine in your moment of fame!

Keri said...

You know I love you, right?! I'm sad that I missed the first of the interview, but you are A-MAZING! And only A-MAZING people say putrid. =)

v said...

I too watched online in awe of my sister on the news. I just loved it. And your eye looks so sad with all the red around it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...