Monday, March 3, 2008

Bancroft/Lava Hot Springs

Two weekends ago (Feb 23, I think it was) we had a branch activity. Some went to Pebble Creek to ski, and the rest of us went to Bancroft to ride some horses and chill. Then we all met up at Lava Hot Springs to relax our muscles in the hot pools, and then dined at Pizza Hut. It was pretty fun.

In Bancroft, we started off with a sleigh ride, then made our way to an indoor arena (not sure what term is used for where horses run, sorry). Now I've been on a horse before, but I was 3, and the horse was pretty old; Ringo was his name-o, matter of fact, and my dad was right there beside me, guiding the horse around. So...fast forward to 22 years later, and here I sit on an entirely different horse (Ringo is long gone, I'm quite certain). I got on the horse like a pro (I'm sure it has something to do with my long legs), but once I was there I didn't quite know what to do. I took the reigns and told my horse (Misty, I think?) to "go." (All the people who've ridden horses laughed at me for that one. GEEZ! It's not like anybody gave me a run-through on what to do! And as far as I can tell, horses don't speak English, so does it really matter what I tell the horse in my native tongue? Apparently it does, in fact, matter). Anyway...I got my horse to go, although I had a hard time directing it in specific directions. And then she started to trot. Mm-kay, for you cowboys out there, you probably don't think this is as scary as it was for me...but when horses trot, they pretty much bounce you around, especially when you've not a clue what you're doing. So I bounced around and told my horse to stop, which, of course, she didn't. So I pulled on the reigns and it worked! Shortly thereafter, I got off the horse; I'd had my fill for the day. I realize that the rider is supposed to be in charge of the horse, and such was not the case with me...and I'm pretty sure that the horse picked up on that. I think she liked being "in charge" of this stupid human on her back. Maybe I'll try again sometime...?

Anyway...here are some pictures of the day's events...

Me and Heidi on the sleigh ride.

Here we have Jeremethius!
(Jeremy knighted himself a Greek God, which inspired the Greek spin on his name.)

This Clydesdale was prancing around,
showing off for us while we were on our sleigh ride.

Yours truly on the horse that wouldn't go
(initially, at least)...

I skipped taking pictures at Lava (on purpose. Most people aren't a fan of having their pictures taken while in their swim suits. Especially since it's winter and lots of us were pasty white and not as in-shape as we typically are in, say, the summer). But I took some pictures of friends at Pizza Hut, just for fun.

Jeremethius, acting all "thug"

Jason and his 90's...ah...troll hair?
I liked it and touched it...
It was very soft and stand-uppy.

And here we have Paul, also known as "MacAdoo."

Lisa enjoying her salad...yum!
Oh, and that's Jessa right next to her.

And here's a salad-eating Brookey!

3 comments:

Court and Jill said...

Okay I have to admit that I laughed outloud just like your friends when you said "go" to the horse! Ha ha!! So I'm assuming they taught you the "click" with your tongue and/or the movement with the reins...since your horse did go in the end. Too funny!!! I grew up with horses and I'm still afraid when they trot, so don't feel too bad. I have yet to be in control of one while I'm on top too...scary!!! I'm sure you did great!!

Emily said...

What a blast! Your always doing fun things!!! The pizza hut visit sounds good right now, epecially if it involves pineapple!

Jeremethius said...

That Jeremethius sure is a sexy guy. No wonder he is the god of sexy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...