Monday, April 27, 2009

promises, promises...

A few things I thought I'd never do:

#1) I swore I'd never do this by myself ever again. Alas...my car needed it. It was filthy and sad; the last time I did it was roughly 9 months ago. Aaaand...I asked a certain someone for help, and he told me no. Twice. So on Saturday I broke down and waxed my car. Alone.

Fortunately, it was sunny and warm (but not hot) and it didn't take me as long as it did last July. I'm pleased with the results.

So shiny...

#2) I never want to ride a bike with flat tires. Any distance. Ever again.

Do you even recognize how difficult/exhausting it is to ride a bike with two nearly flat tires? Do you? It's been months since I last rode my bike; while it hung in the garage in the cold Idaho winter, the tires deflated some. Understandable, I suppose.

On Saturday, my good friend Brooke invited me to ride our bikes over to Tautphus Park to visit our friend Lisa at the Earth Day Celebration...thingy. I pulled my bike off the rack and hopped on, thinking I'd take off at top-speed and make it to the park in no time. Alas...it just wasn't in the cards; flat tires totally slow ya down. So I rode my bike to the nearest gas station to fill my tires with air. It's about a mile and a half to Sinclair from my place. My legs were like Jello, friends.

On a positive note, once my tires were full, riding was a breeze.

Brooke standing in front of the Psychedelicatessen
(isn't that a fun word?!) at the Earth Day thing.
PS The Psychedelicatessen bus sells uber delish bagel sandwiches.

#3) I never pictured myself bursting into a Saturday's Warrior song in the park with...anyone...to express...well...anything.

While celebrating the Earth this weekend, I saw this guy in the park who reminded me of Todd from Saturday's Warrior. You know...the guy Julie loves from the pre-existence? The guy who sings this song! I totally do NOT love this movie, but dang, this guy in the park made me think of him. (PS I looked all over the place for a clip or picture of this guy, but to no avail. Bum.mer.) Anyway...I tried to be stealthy, and I totally took a picture of Todd/park man.

Anyway, as much as I don't love the movie, I saw "Todd" and started singing Paper Dream to my friends so they knew who/what I was talking about.

A picture of "Todd."
Trust me, he looks more like the real deal in real life.
He even has a mullet!

#4) I never thought I'd care for Alec Baldwin in any way, shape or form. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

He's one of the main characters in 30 Rock, so I automatically wrote the show off as "not worth my time." But Vance and Abby insisted it's funny, and that Alec's character is actually pretty awesome. They lent me seasons 1 & 2. I've watched a handful of episodes, and it must be said...I not only like the show, but I love Alec Baldwin's character. I did NOT see that one coming...


11 comments:

Brent said...

kudos for that sweet hippie van. 5 more kudos for the Saturday's Warrior referance.

Sara Stevenson said...

OMG I l.o.v.e 30 Rock!!!! My sister and I are known to bust out in Saturday Warriors song and dance.

Wade/Julie said...

Your car does look fine...black gas door and all! Really nice. Glad it took you less time and effort, but all well worth your effort (easy to say about some-
one elses hard work, right?) Glad your bike is up to snuff again and glad you had a great 'Earth Day' with good friends. Love ya!

Eskimo Bob said...

Isn't life more beautiful and wonderful once you open a closed mind?

aworgill said...

I second what Bob said. Don't you realize that you do this ALL THE TIME?

I think someone is trying to tell you that this is the man that YOU love from the pre-existence. Congratulations.

Brooke said...

Psychadelicatessan. Psychadelicatessan. Psychadelicatessan. Yep. Still fun to say. Not so fun to spell! Glad to share with you in those adventures. Now I'll be singing Paper Dream through the rest of my workday.
"I take some paper in my hand and with a pencil draw a man. A dream of what I'd really really like to be ..."
My friend interned for 30 Rock in NYC. Not sure what he did. He's not that close of a friend. But I've never seen the show. I should be a fan.

A man with courage in his brow who's licked his doubts and fears somehow ... (why in the crap do I know all these words?!?!)

Anonymous said...

I totally love the clip! I had to agree with your "not worth my time" for the exact reason. But that was funny!
Car looks good. Bike rides are fun, only if the bike is functioning properly, you are right.

The Thatchers said...

Ha ha I love 30 Rock!! Hey, in Provo there is this company that COMES TO YOUR HOUSE TO DETAIL YOUR CAR!!!!!! Most amazing thing ever...you should look into it in IF!! Love it!!

Elyse said...

I use to have a serious obsession with Saturday's Warrior-when we lived in Wisconsin one of the missionary guys from the movie lived in our ward. My sister wanted his autograph every time she came out to visit but was too nervous to talk to a "movie star" ha ha!

Maria said...

He does look like Todd. That is hilarious. I can imagine how look-alike'ish he must have been in person. That is so funny!

I, too, never have invested a minute second of time to watch 30 rock. But, you seem to have pretty good taste. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Court and Jill said...

Ugh! Saturday's Warrior!!! Holy cow, I haven't thought about that movie in forever. Yes, that man looks eerily like the boyfriend from the pre-existence. What a dumb movie. I loved it back in the day, of course, but none of it is really that doctrinally sound if you know what I mean. Oh and we used to laugh and make fun of the Mom with ghastly white legs who gives birth to a 4-month old looking baby at the end...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...