I just finished reading this book:
North & Southby Elizabeth Gaskell
Wow.
I mean WOW! I fell in love with the BBC movie last time I went home for a visit. (Mom and I both fell in love with it.) I loved the plot and the characters...(especially one Mr. Thornton).
And, okay, it's taken me a rather long time to read the book, but the reasons are threefold: 1-It's got tiny print. 2-I had to flip back to the index a lot to get some extra insight into the story. And 3-I haven't had tons of time to read. Those're the reasons it took me so long; this book is a delight. If you like Jane Austen, you'll pretty much love this book.
The book and the movie are the same, but so different. The thing that really got to me is that you had to wait till the very end for the fireworks; you know at the very beginning that Margaret Hale and John Thornton are going to end up together, and you agonize throughout the entire dang thing as to how the devil it's ever going to happen. And as the minutes/pages flash on by, you realize time is running out; there's not much time left for the story to fulfill its entire purpose...but then...it does! And it's magical!
Ma, I'm bringin' it home with me this weekend. We shall discuss it at length when you're finished. (And I feel quite confident that you'll finish it in less time than it took me, but only because you can't put a good book down...)
And, okay, it's taken me a rather long time to read the book, but the reasons are threefold: 1-It's got tiny print. 2-I had to flip back to the index a lot to get some extra insight into the story. And 3-I haven't had tons of time to read. Those're the reasons it took me so long; this book is a delight. If you like Jane Austen, you'll pretty much love this book.
The book and the movie are the same, but so different. The thing that really got to me is that you had to wait till the very end for the fireworks; you know at the very beginning that Margaret Hale and John Thornton are going to end up together, and you agonize throughout the entire dang thing as to how the devil it's ever going to happen. And as the minutes/pages flash on by, you realize time is running out; there's not much time left for the story to fulfill its entire purpose...but then...it does! And it's magical!
I highly recommend this book.
And the movie, too. Obviously.
And the movie, too. Obviously.
Ma, I'm bringin' it home with me this weekend. We shall discuss it at length when you're finished. (And I feel quite confident that you'll finish it in less time than it took me, but only because you can't put a good book down...)
3 comments:
I love Jane Austen!!!
I love that movie too. I discovered it years ago and got a copy. You made me want to watch it again.
I just got into a book club and this one is on our list, sounds fab. Also I just saw your older post about the good ole days at the HUB. I love that I would make our favorite Hazels 'samples' and we would just eat them all. Oh I really do miss that bread, I think I might have lived off of it, because I don't remember eating much else freshmen year:)
Post a Comment