But, you know what? I swear, the not-able-to-dance thing has got to be genetic.
Because I come from a family of non-dancers. On both sides.
I've got rhythm, but I lack coordination. When I dance, I resemble Elaine Benis from Seinfeld. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, I dare you to click on the link.) The difference between me and Elaine, though, is that I am aware that I'm a bad dancer.
I'm not terrific when it comes to slow dancing, either. I know, I know, all I have to do is follow the guy's lead. But do you want to know something? I do not think I can be led! (Maybe it's a good thing that
The fact remains that I cannot dance.
Therefore, when Brooker gave me a 10-punchcard for Zumba last Christmas, I was less than enthusiastic. And I felt bad about it, because I love Brooker, and I wanted to like her gift, I really did!
So. On the morning of January 1, 2011, I went to my first Zumba class with Brooker. And I went with an open mind, really I did!
I wanted to stand in the back and
But I stayed the entire hour, and I wiggled with the class. (I decided that the most important thing, since I didn't know the moves AT ALL, was to just keep on moving. After all, Zumba can be a fantastic cardio workout!)
Yes, I stayed. And I wiggled. And I didn't hate it.
I DIDN'T HATE IT AT ALL. Something about dancing with the Zumba Sisters and Brooker...well, it was kind of fun.
I've used up that 10-punchcard, and I've purchased new punchcards for myself.
BECAUSE I LOVE ZUMBA. Especially with those Zumba Sisters! (I went to Zumba once at my gym, and I didn't really care for it. Just sayin'.)
![]() | |
| Me, Chelsie, gal in the middle, Brooker & Jill with butt tassels. |
I've never really cared for "dance music" for my entire life. Because dance music is for dancing. But...
I've gone ahead and purchased a LOT of the music we dance to at Zumba.
Seriously, before Zumba I'd never have given Lady Gaga a chance, and I had never even heard of anything like "Jai Ho (You Are My Destiny)" or "Prrrum" (among many other songs!).
As it turns out, my Zumba playlist on iTunes is stellar to listen to when I clean.
Who says people can't change, huh?
*Disclaimer: I still reserve the right to say I don't love all dancing. I'd rather do just about anything than go to an actual dance. And I still think I'm un-leadable (not a word?).




6 comments:
i have zumba on dvd. no bum tassels though...
I love Zumba! But I love dancing as well.
I've never done Zumba before, but i always hear what an awesome, fun work out it is, so I'm tempted to try it. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being meh and 10 being OMGSOPAINFULPLEASEMAKEITSTOP! How sore would you say it makes you?
LidiaLavonna@Anxiousosity
@Jamie--the tassels were just a one-time thing.
@Lidia--It depends on how much you put into it. There are a couple of songs/dances that I do not love as much because they get close to a 10. (I particularly "hate" the leg one; I always used to stop that one in the middle and grab a drink--in a slow fashion--and mosey my way back to the dance floor before it ended. Only recently have I endured to the end.) I've gone enough now that I can target the right muscles during the right songs so it's more of a workout than when I was just trying to learn the dance moves. Oh my heck, I love Zumba...
@Rhonda--Thanks for not calling me a weirdo for not loving dancing. :)
I dance roughly the same as a walrus might. Or a dehydrated manatee.
Post a Comment