Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I'm Not as Shallow as This Post Might Make Me Seem...

This post is about The Hunger Games.

I read the books...maybe about a year ago? (Okay, I'm looking it up on Goodreads, and it says...January 2011.) I kind of didn't want to read the books, because when they were described to me, I was slightly mortified; it sounded like Roman gladiator games for children, and I didn't want to read about such a horrific subject matter.

But then I caved; almost every person I talked to (and I surround myself with really terrific people!) recommended the Hunger Games series to me, and I caved.

Aaaand I believe I  read book one within a couple of days.

Before, during, and after reading that book, I was totally disturbed that I really enjoyed the story as much as I did. But I'll be darned if I didn't cry when Rue died. (If you haven't read or watched the Hunger Games yet, I'm sorry about that little spoiler; but you understand the gist of the story, right? LOTS of people die.)

But I digress. This post is actually supposed to focus on the movie (that just came to a theater near you a couple of weeks ago).

I had heard mixed reviews, but mostly good things.

I talked to my mama about it the day after she watched it, and the first thing she said was, "Gina! The guy Katniss leaves behind?! WOW!" Or something to that effect. So I had high hopes that Gale would be this knock out.

Anyway, I went to Utah to visit my family last weekend, and Abby and I went to Walker Cinema to watch The Hunger Games together. 

I know; it's not a terrific picture of me.
Maybe I'm trying to make a point that I'm not completely shallow.
"Look! I'm posting an unflattering picture of myself to show you
that I really realize that looks aren't what it's all about!"

So I was sitting in the theater, happily watching the movie, and do you know what? That first shot of Gale didn't quite do it for me. Please note: I know that most people in Hollywood are quite a bit prettier than me, including the fella who plays Gale. My point is that everybody had talked him up a LOT, and that very first shot of Gale made me scratch my head. Then I saw Peeta, and I was like..."Oh! That's what Mom was talking about." Because...guys, I'm totally Team Peeta; I was throughout the entire series, and I think he's one of the best characters in the books. But, that first shot of Peeta, with his hair all slicked back? It made me realize how incredibly handsome that Gale fella really is. You know?

The movie continued, and I realized that, when his hair isn't slicked back, Peeta's kind of cute, too. (For a kid, I mean. Gross. Stop judging me!)

Also, when Katniss and Peeta got to The Capitol, we were introduced to a whole new slew of characters. And then I realized...I'm actually Team Cinna...

Yes. Team Cinna, all the way.

In all honesty, I've always loved his character. Maybe it's just a little perk that he's so darn handsome in the movie...?

Anyway, I'll be back with a less shallow post nest time. Just thought I'd let you know how I feel about the men of The Hunger Games.

PS My mom may or may not have a little crush on Seneca Crane. (I'll never tell.)

PPS Donald Sutherland, from this day forward, might creep me out for the rest of my mortal life. He's such an endearing old fellow in Pride & Prejudice (Mr. Bennett), but he played President Snow a little too well. He totally gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Over and out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your labels. bwahaha. Also I didn't get a shallow vibe from this post at all. You're still good in my book. I am surprised, however, at the amount of seesawing you did between teams. ;)

v said...

And I don't think it's shallowness to analyze the heck out of show. It makes you WAY WAY fun to watch shows around! I loved it! I kinda want to force you to watch crappy twilight shows becuase I know your comments will be A + whatever they are!

rhonda said...

not shallow at all. I'm totally Team Cinna all the way. I cried when he got killed. And his gold eyeliner...I die!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...